Top safety tips for new homeowners in Miami
If you just bought your first home or you’re nearing the date to close, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and yours. You’re likely pondering how you should individualize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, be sure you consider home security as well. Keeping your loved ones protected should always be a major emphasis, and we’ll show you how with these safety tips for new homeowners in Miami.
Conduct a safety check of your new Miami property
Now that safety is at the forefront, see what your new home has in place. First, ensure you have functioning fire alarms. Try every one and switch out batteries if needed. Do you have carbon monoxide detectors? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also a perfect time to replace door locks and investigate all locking mechanisms on windows. Go room-by-room and get familiar with your new house.
Smart security tips for your Miami home
Once you’ve done your initial investigation of safety devices and locking systems, you should think about elevating your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in Miami.
- Invest in a full-featured home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Miami can do is install a home security system. Today’s wireless technology allows you to keep an eye on your residence even when you’re away. You are able to review up-to-the-second video footage, control locking systems, and even talk to visitors at your door right from your smartphone. You can personalize your defense with worthwhile security implements like video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your exterior lighting. Outdoor lights with motion detection are a great way to deter potential invaders. You may even use them in conjunction with video cameras. When a motion sensor is triggered, it can tell your video equipment to record.
- Keep your yard nicely groomed. Can you see all of your property from inside? Are there large shrubs and trees impeeding the view? Get rid of possible hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be grateful for it as well.
- Make friends with others in your area. Talking about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you know people close to you, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll let you know if they see anything suspicious. You can also get involved in your community’s social media group if one is established.
- Utilize home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re on site by activating smart lights at programmed times. This is a nice feature when you’re at work or on vacation.